20.2 C
New York
September 26, 2020
Worship Media
Sports

Three fighters earn contracts in season debut of Contender Series

“Wow!” said Dana White, and that was all the UFC president needed to say.

He was being interviewed in order to reveal whether any of the eight fighters who competed in Tuesday’s opening episode of Season 4 of Dana White’s Contender Series were going to be awarded UFC contracts. Through three seasons, the show had added 80 names to the UFC roster.

White did not exactly play his cards close to the vest when speaking about Uros Medic, an undefeated 27-year-old from Serbia (6-0) who put on an explosive performance in a first-round TKO of lightweight Mikey Gonzalez. Inside an empty UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Medic’s loud assault of body kicks echoed through the building.

“He was without a doubt the star of the show tonight,” said White. “This kid is explosive, powerful, badass, 100 percent finish rate. This dude is right up my alley. I love him. Welcome to the UFC, kid.”

White was not done welcoming fighters to his promotion. He awarded contracts to the winners of two of the evening’s other three fights as well.

The card’s other unbeaten fighter, fellow 155-pounder Jordan Leavitt, kicked off the show with a dominant, poised first-round submission of Luke Flores. Leavitt (7-0), a 25-year-old fighting in his hometown just 18 days after his last bout, got his fifth career tapout and a ticket to the Octagon.

The other contract went to Dustin Jacoby, who is not a lightweight and is not undefeated and did not get a finish. But the 32-year-old from Colorado does have UFC experience. The light heavyweight fought in the big show twice nearly a decade ago, losing both times. Since then, he’s competed mostly in kickboxing, including nine bouts in the elite Glory promotion.

That pedigree showed. Jacoby (12-5) lit up Ty Flores from the start, beating him down and marking him up with punches, elbows, kicks, knees, backfists, everything one can throw at another human being. In the end, his 117 significant strikes were the most by a 205-pounder in the history of Dana White’s Contender Series.

Flores went down several times, got a bunch of “Fight back!” orders from referee Herb Dean but toughed it out to the final horn. Jacoby’s output tired him by Round 3, so he was unable to land a finishing blow and had to settle for a unanimous decision. The judges scored the bout 30-26, 29-27 and 29-27.

“Even when he got tired, he was exchanging,” said White. “He fought a guy who is seriously tough and durable. I also think that the fight could have been stopped in the second round. I’m gonna give him a shot.”

White especially loved the performance of Leavitt — for proving him wrong. “He goes in and takes Flores down — Flores has five submissions,” said the UFC president. “I’m like, why would you take this guy down … Submits him easily.” White laughed at himself for doubting Leavitt.

The one bout that did not earn either fighter a UFC deal was as exciting as the rest, but simply did not produce a clear winner. Jerome Rivera and Luis Rodriguez did what flyweights do, going back and forth with three rounds of high-octane action. Rivera (10-2), a 25-year-old out of Santa Fe, New Mexico, showed good, aggressive standup to get a unanimous decision over Luis Rodriguez (11-2), 21, out of Mexico.

“Both of these guys will be in the UFC someday, I think,” said White. “Just not tonight.”

Click Here to Visit Orignal Source of Article https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/29598865/three-fighters-earn-contracts-season-debut-contender-series

Related posts

Kap works out for 8 teams, has ‘nothing to hide’

ESPN

With Garza back, it’s time to believe in Iowa as a national championship contender

ESPN

Best of Sunday at NFL training camps: Sammy Watkins takes less to stay put; officials reach opt-out deal

ESPN

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Privacy & Cookies Policy